Thursday, March 5, 2009

Kiss Me, I'm Irish


Everyone claims to be Irish for St. Patrick's Day, but I really am Irish all year long!!
My great great grandpa James Cooper came to Amerika in 1834 from Belfast, Ireland. He first went to Pennsylvania and then came to Bethel, Minnesota. He settled Coopers Corner because the hunting was good. History stories say he chose the name of Bethel from the bible because it means "House of God". I have a copy of his diary for the years 1869-1871. He ended most entries with "thank God for all blessings". This was his ending even on days that weren't so good; days when people were sick, hurt or dieing. I think he had a strong belief in his Heavenly Father. Family stories say his Irish accent was so thick, it was difficult to understand him. He re-married after each of his first two wives died. His third wife was my great great grandmother - Rebecca Milligan. She was 25 years younger than James, and 38 years old when they married. James was 65 years old when my great grandmother Laura was born; she was the last born of his 14 children. James lived to see her grow to adulthood. He died in 1893 at the age of 87. He was laid to rest next to our house in the Old Bethel Cemetery. I'm thankful for his life and the legacy he has left.
So in his remembrance, please join me in wearing green on March 17th!

2 comments:

Tawnya said...

Don't Worry Mom I look hot in Green so I will be there!!!

Angie said...

That is so wonderful that you know so much about your family history. What an amazing story for future generations to be a part of. I can't believe he's buried right next to your home! Pretty cool Fran! :)